Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cycling it forward

For me, bicycling is all about fun… the wind in my face with the endorphins coursing through my veins. I just want to go ride my bike! While riding alone is fun, I also enjoy riding with a group. Sometimes new riders tell me that they want to get in shape before coming out to ride with the group. I say, "Come out to ride with the group to get in shape!" I find that group riding helps build and maintain skills better than almost anything else a rider can do. For more than 30 years, ABC has strived to improve the quality of life in Arizona by supporting bicycling. Throughout those years, the club has depended on volunteers and that need never changes. I would like to challenge every member to perform at least one volunteer activity for the club in the coming year. For example, slice up bananas at a SAG stop or help clean-up after the Christmas party. If every member would do just one thing for the club every year, I think we'd do amazing things. By this time next year I hope that everyone will have an answer to the question, "What did you do to help the club in 2009?"



But I feel the club has a responsibility to its volunteers. The club has to treat volunteers with respect. The club has to plan ahead enough to provide ample notice and clear directions. If everybody understands what is expected, then things will go a lot smoother. I'm hoping that if the club can clearly and very specifically communicate what it needs, it will be much easier to find people willing to step up. For the club to be able to do this, it needs to have a clear and well communicated vision of where it wants to go in the future. Therefore, we are developing a questionnaire designed to help the board develop a long range strategic plan. Additionally, this survey will establish a baseline against which we will be able to measure progress towards meeting the goals we set for ourselves. Please look for a link to this survey in your email and please take 5 minutes out of your busy day to fill out the survey. This is your club and it depends on your input to succeed.



In addition to the regular chapter rides which happen weekly, we are planning for the Gila Bend Tour, The Desert Classic, The Grand Canyon Ride and The McDowell Mountain Century. In addition to our Holiday Party, we are planning on hosting a presentation by touring cyclists and authors, Tim and Cindie Travis this Spring. I think this is going to be a great year of riding but we need your help to make it happen. If you have ideas or comments, please email me at President@AZBikeClub.org.

No comments: